The newest iPhone, the iPhone 4S, will be launched in Singapore on Oct 28, two weeks after the official launch in the US.
Singapore prices are not yet available but in the US, the new iPhone will be sold on contract for US$199, US$299 and US$399 for the 16GB, 32GB and 64GB versions respectively.
Singapore and Japan will be the only two countries in Asia to get the iPhone 4S in October. Japanese consumers will get to buy the iPhone 4S on Oct 14.
The iPhone 4S will look like the current iPhone 4 but will have upgraded internals and will be able to support the Siri personal assistant.
The new iPhone's features include:
- an A5 chip (like the iPad 2)
- dual-core graphics (supposed to be up to seven times faster than iPhone 4)
- support both CDMA and GSM
- support HSDPA (up to 14.4 Mbps)
- An 8 MP camera with a backside illuminated sensor that will take in 73% more light per pixel than the iPhone 4.
- image capture is 33% faster
- f/2.4 aperture
- Face detection
- better white balance
Siri is a personal assistant that can understand natural language queries. Apple VP Scott Forstall, demonstrated Siri handling instructions like:
- "Wake me up tomorrow at 6am."
- "How's the NASDAQ doing today?"
- "Find me a great Greek restaurant in Palo Alto."
- "Give me directions to Hoover Tower"
- "Remind me to call my wife when I leave work."
You will need to use US, UK or Australian English to be understood by Siri. Siri will also recognize French and German.